Focusing on practical approaches for the experienced investigator, Michael R. Napier, a 27-year veteran of the FBI, presents Behavior, Truth, and Deception: Applying Profiling and Analysis to the Interview Process, 2nd Edition. This hands-on volume, drawn from years of experience interviewing suspects, reveals the targeted subject interviewing process (TSI). This technique combines all known tactics learned from criminal personality profiling and investigative analysis into an effective strategy for interviewing a suspect. The book describes the skill sets and essential elements that directly contribute to a successful interrogation and outlines an interview plan using these analytical and profiling concepts.
Topics discussed include:
- Origins of offender motivation
- An analytical methodology for criminal investigative analysis
- Indirect personality assessment before the suspect interview
- Interview and interrogation techniques, including verbal strategies and nonverbal communications
- Interviews in rape cases
- Analysis of 911 calls made by a potential suspect
- Homicidal behavior
- Child molesters and stalkers
- Cultural considerations
- Tips for making interviews withstand legal challenges
A blend of insight from seasoned law enforcement professionals and behavioral experts, this fascinating volume helps investigators get under the skin of the suspect, expose deception, and bring out the truth. Employing crime scene scenarios to demonstrate concepts, the book includes a victim questionnaire capturing offender behavior, form templates, and a glossary, making this a one-stop reference for law enforcement professionals charged with solving crimes and bringing offenders to justice.